Pat Cummins and Mohsin Naqvi (Source: AP and AFP)
Pat Cummins has finally broken silence on the growing rumours surrounding his future with Cricket Australia. Over the past few weeks, reports claimed that several Australian cricketers were unhappy with Cricket Australia's contract system and were considering prioritising franchise leagues over international cricket.
The controversy began after reports suggested that Pat Cummins and other top Australian stars could skip parts of the home summer to participate in overseas franchise tournaments such as SA20 and The Hundred.
Several reports also claimed that Pat Cummins, alongside Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood, had been offered massive contracts each to feature in The Hundred.
What is the issue between Pat Cummins and Cricket Australia?
The current tension between several Australian players and Cricket Australia is mainly linked to money and scheduling pressures caused by the rapid growth of global T20 leagues.
It is important to mention that franchise tournaments offer better salaries, and thus, it has created difficulty for the players to manage between national duty and franchise cricket.
Reports earlier this month suggested that five senior Australian players were unhappy with Cricket Australia's initial contract offers. There were also concerns that overseas stars in the Big Bash League were earning more than Australian players.
Also Read: Pat Cummins Breaks Silence On Rift With Cricket Australia Over Payment Disparity
According to reports, Cummins and several senior teammates wanted guaranteed BBL contracts.
At the same time, Cricket Australia was reportedly trying to secure its biggest stars with long-term contracts to stop them from becoming full-time franchise players.
Pat Cummins makes massive statement for Cricket Australia and IPL
Despite all this tension, Pat Cummins has now publicly committed himself to Australian cricket for the future. Speaking during the New Balance Grey Days 2026 event in Delhi NCR, the Australian captain said nothing had changed regarding his priorities.
Cummins also explained why the IPL remains manageable for Australian players. According to him, the IPL fits comfortably into Australia's cricket calendar and does not interfere heavily with national commitments.
"Nothing has changed for me, my priority is Australian cricket, No. 1, particularly Test cricket," Cummins told ESPNcricinfo. "As Test captain, I never want to miss any Test cricket and make myself available for as many Aussie games as I can.
"The IPL is good in that it normally fits in our holiday break, so that's the obvious one, but they are probably my main focuses and I don't see that's going to change at all for the next few years for me at least."
This statement makes it clear that Cummins is not willing to play in the Pakistan Super League (PSL) at this moment. It is worth noting that Cummins has not played in the the PSL so far.
Pat Cummins' performance for SRH in IPL 2026
At present, Cummins is playing in IPL 2026 for Sunrisers Hyderabad. After missing the first half of the season because of a back injury, Cummins returned in style and helped SRH secure a place in the playoffs following a crucial 5-wicket win over CSK on May 18.
It is important to note that Cummins achieved another major milestone as he completed his 200th T20 wicket.So far in IPL 2026, Cummins has played six matches and picked up eight wickets at an economy rate of 8.12.
Also Read: Babar Azam Back, 2 Match-Winners Out; Pakistan ODI Squad Vs Australia Predicted


.jpg?type=mq)

