Facebook Pixel Steve Smith T20 World Cup Debacle Questioned As Australia Icon Slams Epic Government Body | CREX
  • Home
  • Cricket News
  • Steve Smith T20 World Cup Debacle Questioned As Australia Icon Slams Epic Government Body 699435E2fb66ae7b76dfe1ce

Steve Smith T20 World Cup Debacle Questioned As Australia Icon Slams Epic Government Body



Mark Waugh backs Steve Smith [Source: @HitmanCricket, @ICC/x]Mark Waugh backs Steve Smith [Source: @HitmanCricket, @ICC/x]

The exclusion of Steve Smith from Australia’s 2026 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup squad has seemingly not gone down well with many cricket experts. Former Australia cricketer Mark Waugh is certainly one of them, considering the 60-year-old recently minced no words in criticising the national selection committee.

It is worth noting that the Australian cricket team recently suffered back-to-back defeats at the hands of Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka to fall to the brink of a possible first-round exit from the tournament.

Mark Waugh ‘baffled’ with Steve Smith snub

While talking on the SENQ Breakfast podcast, former Australian batter Mark Waugh has lambasted the national selection committee for ignoring Steve Smith from Australia’s 2026 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup squad.

Waugh even described Smith’s exclusion as the “most baffling” selection decision he has ever seen. He said, “I know you can’t please everybody, and sometimes there are tough calls that can go either way, but to me, the non-selection of Steve Smith in the squad originally is the most baffling non-selection I can remember for ages. I mean, here you’ve got a guy who has looked a class above everybody in the BBL.”

The former Australian cricketer hailed Steve Smith and said his ability to tackle spin were ideal for the playing conditions in Sri Lanka. Waugh further ridiculed the selection committee and the Australian team management for not picking Smith as a replacement player at first, and even excluding him after picking up in the 15-player squad.

He added, “He’s an outstanding fieldsman. He’s a great player of spin. He should have been first picked, and he wasn’t picked in the squad… then he wasn’t even picked as a replacement, and then they’ve got him over there, and they still haven’t played him.”

Steve Smith ignored despite BBL riches

Compatible to Mark Waugh’s claims, Steve Smith has been in splendid touch with the bat off late in T20 cricket. Even in the recently-concluded BBL 2025-26 season, Smith found instant success after Australia’s 4-1 Ashes triumph over England at home.

In six innings of the tournament, the legendary Australian batter minted 299 runs at a prolific average of 59.80 and with a staggering strike rate of 167.97.

It is worth noting that Steve Smith has not played a single T20I for Australia in nearly two years. The 36-year-old played the last of his 67 T20Is for Australia back in February 2024 during a series in New Zealand.

Earlier this month, he was selected in Australia squad for the 2026 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup albeit as a travelling reserve. He was only promoted into Australia’s primary 15 midway into the tournament as a replacement for injured Josh Hazlewood.

Australia to face Oman in must-win game

Australia suffered an eight-wicket larruping at the hands of Sri Lanka in Pallekele on February 16. With two defeats in three matches, Australia is now placed third on the Group B points table with a NRR of 0.414.

The depleted Australian side will now face Oman in their final Group match of the 2026 ICC Men's T20 World Cup on February 20 later this week. In a bid to stay in contention for the Super 8, Australia needs to defeat Oman by a huge margin, and also hope for Zimbabwe to lose each of their remaining two games convincingly.