Bangladesh Cricket Team [Source: AFP]
In a major update for Bangladesh cricket, Gazi Ashraf Hossain Lipu, the chief selector of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), is not expected to continue in his role after his two-year contract ends on February 28. This information was confirmed by Nazmul Abedeen Fahim, chairman of the BCB Cricket Operations Committee.
At the same time, a BCB official also told Cricbuzz that Gazi Ashraf has already written to the board, explaining that he will not be available to continue in the position.
Meanwhile, this development comes at a challenging time for Bangladesh cricket. Recently, Bangladesh reportedly chose not to take part in the T20 World Cup after the BCB declined to play matches in India.
BCB chief selector Gazi Ashraf writes letter to the board
Gazi Ashraf himself confirmed that he had formally informed the board earlier in February. He explained that although such contracts are often extended based on performance, he would not be able to continue due to personal commitments.
"I had sent the letter on 5th of February as I felt I should inform the board. Usually, these types of positions are renewed most of the time, depending on performance. But the truth is, I won't be able to continue," Gazi Ashraf told Cricbuzz on Monday.
BCB duties affected by personal commitments
Furthermore, Ashraf clarified that his future schedule would not allow him to dedicate enough time to the demanding role. He expects to be busy with family matters and travel plans, which would make him unavailable for much of the year.
"From next January, I will be completely occupied with personal matters and family commitments. Essentially, I am only available until December. Within that time, I'll be out of the country for five or six weeks, likely heading to America. So even this year, I'm not available to the Board in that capacity. I've informed the Board about these constraints in case they are considering me," he reasoned.
Therefore, although he may remain associated with cricket in some limited way until the end of the year, he believes continuing as chief selector would not be practical.
BCB future options for the chief selector role
Even so, Ashraf said he is open to discussions if the BCB still wants him to continue despite his constraints. However, he made it clear that he would prefer to leave on good terms rather than create any conflict.
"If the Board is still interested despite these hurdles, we can talk. Otherwise, I am ready to step down on the 28th of February. That was the gist of my message (letter)," he said.
"My message is that I'd rather leave a contractual role happily. There's so much constant hassle involved, and I just don't want to be part of it anymore, that's it. I don't want to leave the BCB on a sour note or after a disagreement," he added.
Ashraf took over as chief selector in February 2024, replacing former selectors Minhajul Abedin Nannu and Habibul Bashar Sumon. Notably, he had previously served Bangladesh cricket in several roles, including national captain, BCB director, and team manager.




