Mohsin Naqvi and Babar Azam and Shaheen Afridi [Source: X]
It was a dismal fate for Pakistan at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo on February 15. The T20 World Cup 2026 match against India saw the Men in Green suffer a heavy 61-run defeat as Suryakumar Yadav and Co. triumphed confidently.
However, Pakistan Cricket Board chief Mohsin Naqvi did not take the loss lightly, as he appeared visibly frustrated in the stands during the match. In fact, Naqvi's frustration prompted the Pakistan team management to get rid of their non-performing players, including Babar Azam and Shaheen Afridi.
The contest had nearly been abandoned before February 9, after the Pakistan government's call to boycott the clash in solidarity with Bangladesh ouster protests almost put the International Cricket Council in a difficult position.
Nevertheless, a green signal on February 9 brought the $174 million event back on track. After Pakistan's loss, the backlash appeared to continue for Mohsin Naqvi, who had earlier supported the boycott calls.
Mohsin Naqvi Furious At Pakistan’s Performance
According to a viral social media clip, Mohsin Naqvi travelled to Colombo to watch the marquee clash. However, he left the stadium mid-match, giving a stern stare toward the Pakistan team from the stands when they were six wickets down while chasing 176.
Later, PTI showed footage of him walking out of the R Premadasa Stadium even before the final result was declared. A source told PTI that Mohsin Naqvi expressed his displeasure to team manager Naveed Akram Cheema after Pakistan's heavy defeat at the hands of India.
“The chairman left early as it became obvious Pakistan were heading toward another loss,” the source said.
A senior PCB official told PTI that Naqvi also expressed that the team’s performance against India was ‘not understandable or acceptable’.
Babar Azam, Shaheen Afridi Exit From Pakistan Confirmed?
The anonymous source later revealed that head coach Mike Hesson was highly critical of the team’s performance in the dressing room and said they did not play to their full potential.
For instance, Pakistan star Shaheen Afridi conceded 31 runs in his two overs while taking only one wicket. Abrar Ahmed, one of Pakistan’s frontline spinners, gave away 38 runs in three overs without taking a wicket.
Mohammad Nawaz also went wicketless at an economy rate of 7. In the batting unit, the top order completely failed, with Sahibzada Farhan dismissed for a duck, Saim Ayub scoring six runs, and Salman Ali Agha and Babar Azam both falling for single-digit scores.
This poor showing was reportedly addressed by Hesson in the dressing room, with reports suggesting that Babar Azam and Shaheen Afridi could be benched for the upcoming Namibia clash on Wednesday, February 18.
End of Road For Seniors After IND vs PAK Defeat?
As per reports, Salman Mirza, Naseem Shah, and Fakhar Zaman are set to be given a chance in the Namibia encounter, which will be a do-or-die match for Pakistan to stay in contention for Super 8 qualification.
"Late night the management think tank decided enough was enough and it was to bench Babar and Shaheen and try out Salman Mirza/Naseem Shah and Fakhar Zaman against Namibia on Wednesday," the source said.
Further reports added that if Pakistan benches Babar Azam and Shaheen Afridi for their final Group A match, it could effectively signal the end of their campaign in the tournament, as the management may also look to try Khawaja Nafay in the middle order.
After the harrowing defeat, Pakistan are now in a must-win situation. With Mohsin Naqvi’s anger directed at the team management, it appears likely that new combinations will be seen in the upcoming playing XI, with Babar Azam and Shaheen Afridi’s campaign in the tournament potentially coming to an end.




