Shoaib Akhtar makes embarrassing U-turn [Source: X.com]
Pakistan pace great Shoaib Akhtar made headlines after he quickly changed his stance on Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Mohsin Naqvi. Initially, while speaking on an Indian news channel, he openly called Naqvi “incompetent and illiterate.”
However, within 24 hours, he appeared to take back his strong words during an interview on a Pakistani channel.
Shoaib Akhtar tries to undo harsh words on Mohsin Naqvi
At first, Shoaib Akhtar’s criticism seemed direct and harsh. Yet later, when he spoke on ARY News, he tried to clarify what he meant. He explained that his words were not aimed personally at Mohsin Naqvi. Instead, he claimed that he was speaking in a broader sense about how poor leadership can damage any institution.
Although he attempted to clear the air, he appeared uncomfortable and struggled to fully explain his earlier remarks.
During his appearance on ARY News, Shoaib Akhtar said that his comments had been misunderstood. According to him, the words “incompetent and illiterate” were not directed at Naqvi specifically. He stated that the television channel had twisted his statement. Moreover, he added that he had also said good things about Naqvi in the same program.
“The words ‘incompetent and jaahil (illiterate)’ that I used were not meant for Mohsin Naqvi bhai. It looked like I said those words for him. The incompetency topic I spoke about was from a broader perspective: that such a person can destroy any institution," said Akhtar.
"My hint was not towards Mohsin Naqvi but the top brass that is running international cricket. But the television channel twisted it. In the same programme, I also said that we should not say wrong things about Mohsin Naqvi, he is a good guy. He wants to help Pakistan cricket but does not get the right advice," Shoaib Akhtar said.
However, despite softening his tone, Akhtar admitted that he was still upset with Naqvi. He clarified that his anger was about Naqvi’s change of stance regarding a boycott against India in the T20 World Cup, and not about how he was managing the PCB.
What Shoaib Akhtar originally said
Earlier, during a chat on ABP News, Akhtar had been very critical. He questioned whether Naqvi was suitable for the PCB chairman’s role. He used an example to make his point, saying that if he were made the head of a television channel, he would not know how to run it.
He also made a strong statement: “Do you know what the biggest crime in the world is? Giving a big job to an incompetent and illiterate person.”
Shoaib Akhtar comments on Babar Azam and Shaheen Afridi
In addition to discussing Naqvi, Akhtar also talked about Pakistan’s star players, including Babar Azam and Shaheen Afridi.
According to Akhtar, Shaheen is currently not fully fit and is unable to bowl above 125 kmph. Furthermore, he said that Babar is not suited for T20 cricket unless he opens the batting. He also questioned team selection, including the choice of Shadab. In fact, he stated that India’s cricket is “50 years ahead” of Pakistan’s.
Moreover, Akhtar accepted that everyone shares the blame. He said that the board, media, and even he himself are responsible for making the wrong players into stars and failing to improve cricket infrastructure.
Meanwhile, Pakistan’s recent batting collapse in Colombo has increased pressure on both players and management. The team, led by Salman Agha, now faces a must-win match against Namibia at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo on February 18. Currently, Pakistan has four points from three matches, with a net run rate of -0.04, which is lower than USA’s.
Therefore, if Namibia defeats Pakistan, USA will qualify for the next stage, and Pakistan will be knocked out of their second consecutive T20 World Cup at the group stage.





